Navigation Menu

Get accreditation for the first time

Depending on your academic qualifications, you will need to apply for Provisional or Conditional accreditation from NESA.

Provisional Accreditation means you have successfully completed an accredited degree. You do not need to complete any further studies and can now work towards being accredited at the next mandatory level of Proficient Teacher Accreditation.

Conditional Accreditation means you have successfully completed an undergraduate degree or at least 3 years of a 4 year teaching degree. You can work as a teacher while you complete your studies.

Provisional/Conditional Accreditation application process

To apply for provisional/conditional accreditation involves first setting up an online account. This will require you to provide specific supporting documentation to verify your status.

Verification will require you to provide:
•    Certified copies of proof of identity documents
•    Certified copies of academic qualifications
•    Working with children clearance.
•    Evidence that you have passed an approved literacy and numeracy test (where such test was not part of the teacher education course/program completed by the teacher)

How to apply for provisional or conditional accreditation

How long will the accreditation assessment take?

Once you have set up your online account with NESA including supplying all the necessary documentation,  it usually takes between 5-10 working days to complete the assessment. You will receive an email advice from NESA about your

It generally takes between 5 to 10 working days for NESA to complete your assessment and email your advice on your Provisional or Conditional Accreditation.

An email attachment will confirm the level of accreditation you have been given. There will also be information about the subjects for which you meet the requirements for appointment to a permanent position in NSW public schools.

Confirmation and payment of accreditation fee

NESA will send you a welcome email with more information on what accreditation means and what your responsibilities are as an accredited teacher. You will receive an invoice for your annual accreditation fee.

Already registered in another state or territory?

If you hold current registration from another Australian teacher registration body, your registration may be recognised by NESA. You will still need to apply for Provisional or Conditional Accreditation in NSW. You can then apply to have your interstate registration recognised through a process called Mutual Recognition

More information

Please email or call contact us on 1300 739 338 (within Australia)
Complementary Content