Navigation Menu
Show Breadcrumbs

Interstate teachers

1. Apply for Provisional or Conditional Accreditation

You can do this by creating an online account, completing the online form and then posting:

  • your academic qualifications
  • two forms of identification (certified by a Justice of the Peace) eg: drivers licence, passport or birth certificate (marriage certificate if applicable)
  • a current NSW Working With Children Check clearance
  • evidence you hold full teacher registration in another Australian state or territory.

If you hold current full teacher registration with Queensland or Western Australia, you will also need to complete an authorisation for your information to be released to us.

Authority to Release Information - Queensland College of Teachers (PDF 654 KB)

Authority to Release Information - Teacher Registration Board of WA (PDF 659 KB)

The address is:
Teacher Accreditation
GPO Box 5300

2. Your Conditional or Provisional accreditation in NSW is confirmed

Your documentation will be assessed and you will receive email confirmation of your provisional or conditional accreditation.

Once you have been provisionally or conditionally accredited you can apply for teaching positions in NSW.

3. Verification of your current interstate full registration is requested

We will verify your current full registration with the relevant interstate registration authority.

4. Confirmation of your current full interstate registration is received

If your current full registration is confirmed by the relevant interstate teacher registration authority, your status will be changed to Proficient Teacher (Full Registration). You will receive an email and a letter confirming this.

This process may take up to 21 days.

How to find work as a NSW teacher

You will need to provide evidence of your NSW teacher accreditation to prospective employers as part of the selection and recruitment process.

See NSW school employers

Paying fees

You will be required to pay the NSW accreditation fee from the calendar year following your initial accreditation if you:

  • live and work in NSW, or
  • are not living in NSW but teach exclusively in NSW.

You will not be required to pay the NSW accreditation fee if you:

  • are not living in NSW and are not teaching exclusively in NSW ie: you teach in both jurisdictions.

To receive an exemption from the NSW accreditation fee you must provide us with proof of your:

a) ongoing full registration with an interstate teacher registration authority (in most cases this will be a certified copy of your registration card), and
b) employment as a teacher in a jurisdiction outside NSW (eg: a statement of service), and
c) interstate address (eg: a certified copy of your driver’s licence or a utility bill).

More about paying fees

More information

If you have a question please email or call us on 1300 739 338 (within Australia).

Complementary Content