Navigation Menu

Teaching interstate

Are you planning on taking a break from teaching in NSW  to work in another Australian state or territory? If so you can put your NSW accreditation on hold by going on a leave of absence.

Applying for a leave of absence.

While on a leave of absence you will not be required to:

Contact the state you plan to work in

You will also need to contact the teaching regulatory body in the state or territory you plan to work in for information on their own registration requirements and procedures.

Other teacher regulatory bodies in Australia

Australian Capital Territory

ACT Teacher Quality Institute


The Queensland College of Teachers


Victorian Institute of Teaching

South Australia

Teachers Registration Board of South Australia

Northern Territory

Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory

Western Australia

Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia


Teachers Registration Board Tasmania

Maintain your PD

NSW teachers maintaining accreditation can apply for recognition of professional development undertaken outside of NSW while on a Leave of Absence.

Download the Application for recognition of interstate and overseas PD (Word 64 KB).

Complementary Content