Complete 10 hours of Refresher Courses
If you are a returning or overseas teacher you need to complete at least 10 hours of Refresher Courses in your first year of provisional accreditation. You may select approved Refresher Courses from a list of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Registered Professional Development.
Approved Refresher Courses have been specifically designed to update and refresh professional knowledge and practice and support engagement with key NSW educational priorities.
Refresher Course requirements
1. Identify and complete courses
As a returning or overseas teacher, you must complete the required 10 hours of Refresher Courses within 12 months of being provisionally accredited. You may work as a teacher in NSW during this time.
The 10 hours must include a minimum of 8 hours of professional development in the areas of Curriculum and/or Pedagogy. The remaining 2 hours can include courses from any of the three content areas described in the table below.
Refresher Courses must reflect the current NSW education context and relate to three specific content areas of Curriculum, Pedagogy and Educational expectations:
For Early Childhood teachers, courses relating to the Early Years Learning Framework.
For school teachers, courses relating to key learning areas and assessment practices relevant to NSW curriculum, and/or a NESA syllabus.
Courses relating to pedagogical knowledge, skills and understanding of teaching strategies that build evidence-based practice and impacts effective student learning, development and classroom management.
Courses relating to:
- The Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- Specified system and/or school priorities
- Legal and professional requirements (eg emergency response, first aid, code of conduct, duty of care, child protection awareness and compliance)
2. Record participation
During the 12-month timeframe, record your participation by:
- completing the Refresher Course Record (XLSX, 21 KB) including attendance and course evaluations
- retaining your course attendance certificates.
3. Submit Refresher Course Record and supporting documents
Complete a cover page and submit your records by emailing (email@example.com) NESA with the subject line 'Refresher Course Submission' and include the following documentation:
- Attachment 1 – your completed Cover Page (Word, 90 KB) and your certificates of attendance for Refresher Courses
- Attachment 2 – your completed Refresher Course Record (XLSX, 21 KB)
If you have a question please email or phone us on 1300 739 338 (within Australia).