Revocation and suspension of accreditation
From 1 January 2017 the rules for revoking and suspending a teacher’s accreditation will change.
The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) will have sole authority to revoke or suspend a teacher’s accreditation.
An interim policy has been established. Download the Interim Revocation, Suspension and Voluntary Cancellation of Accreditation Policy
The policy applies to:
- all teachers accredited under the Teacher Accreditation Act 2004
- Teacher Accreditation Authorities (TAAs), and
- employers of teachers in schools and approved centre-based early childhood services.
Accreditation can be revoked or suspended at:
- Conditional or
- Provisional or
- Proficient Teacher (revocation or suspension at Proficient Teacher also revokes or suspends Highly Accomplished and Lead Teacher Accreditation).
- describes the grounds under which a teacher may have their accreditation revoked or suspended
- describes the procedures to enable NESA to thoroughly investigate each claim and make fair and transparent decisions,
- defines the roles and responsibilities for teachers, employers, Teacher Accreditation Authorities (TAAs) and NESA to manage the revocation and suspension of a teacher’s accreditation, and
- describes appeal processes for teachers seeking to review a decision.
The interim policy will operate until a final Revocation, Suspension and Voluntary Cancellation of Accreditation Policy is published later in 2017.
The interim policy includes guidelines for TAAs for refusing to accredit a teacher as well as processes for TAAs to notify NESA if a teacher has not maintained their accreditation at Proficient Teacher. In 2017, these guidelines will be incorporated into the revised Accreditation at Proficient Teacher and Maintenance of Accreditation at Proficient Teacher Policies respectively.
How will it work?
Processes will differ depending on the section of the Act under which action is being taken to revoke or suspend a teacher.
Information for TAAs and employers
If you are a TAA or employer, please read the information about revocation and suspension of teacher accreditation for TAAs and employers.