Leave of absence
If you stop teaching in NSW for a period of six months to five years, you can take a leave of absence from accreditation. Leave of absence can include time away from teaching due to maternity leave, sickness, moving out of NSW or changing industries. If you don't return to teaching within five years, your accreditation will cease.
A leave of absence places your NSW accreditation and fees on hold. You must not teach in a NSW early childhood education and care service or school while you are on a leave of absence. You must reactivate your accreditation before you can return to teaching in NSW.
How to apply for a leave of absence
You cannot apply for a leave of absence over the phone. You must:
- Log into your online account. You will need your username and password. (Don’t have an account? You need to open one)
- Select ‘Leave of absence’ from the left-hand menu and follow the prompts
- Enter the date you intend to start your leave and your expected end-date
- You will receive an email confirming your request.
Note that you cannot teach in NSW while you are on a leave of absence.
You cannot apply for a back-dated leave of absence online. To back-date a leave of absence, you will need to complete the form below and provide evidence for your reason for taking leave (for example a child’s birth certificate, passport entries etc). Please provide the last date you taught in NSW, and the date you returned or plan to return to teaching.
Complete the Leave Of Absence Application Form (PDF 530 KB)
Email or post your form and evidence to:
Finance - Leave of Absence
GPO Box 5300
SYDNEY NSW 2001
If you are taking leave for a continuous period of more than six months in the current calendar year, beginning no later than 30 April and/or not returning to teaching before 1 October of that year, we may waive your annual fee.
To be eligible to have your fee waived, you must notify us of your intended leave of absence:
- before 29 January of the calendar year in which your leave is to occur
- within three months of your initial accreditation date, for newly accredited teachers, or
- up to three months after the expiry of a previous leave of absence.
More about fees and leave
Read the Leave of Absence Policy (PDF 17 KB)