Navigation Menu
Show Breadcrumbs

Accreditation top 10

1. What are the NSW Teacher Accreditation requirements?

To work as a teacher in a NSW school, you must be provisionally or conditionally accredited by NESA. If you worked as a teacher in NSW prior to 1 October 2004, and have not had a break from teaching in NSW of more than five years, you are not currently required to be accredited.

Accreditation will be mandatory for all NSW school teachers from 2018 and early childhood teachers from 2016 to 2017.

2. How much are the fees?

Teachers in NSW pay an annual fee to support their accreditation and ongoing professional development and training. The current fee is $100 and covers the calendar year and can be claimed as a tax deduction.

3. Non-payment of fees?

It's important to keep your contact details up to date as that is how you will be notified when fees are due. You will receive two reminders and then we will suspend your accreditation if you have not paid by the due date. After your accreditation has been suspended, your employer will be given 14 days to suspend your employment.

4. Getting accredited for the first time?

To start or return to working as a teacher in a NSW school, you must be provisionally or conditionally accredited by NESA. Everything you need to know can be found here. Its important to read all the information and make sure you have all the necessary documentation to support your application.

5. How do I update changes to my phone number, address or email?

Accredited teachers should login to their account. If you are awaiting confirmation of your Provisional or Conditional accreditation you should email us your updated details.

6. How do I tell you if I have changed my name?

You will need to scan and email us the certified proof of your name change eg: your Marriage Certificate.

7. Taking a Leave of Absence?

if you cease teaching in NSW for a period of 6 months up to 5 years, you can take a Leave of Absence from a accreditation. To apply login and select 'Leave of Absence' from the left hand menu ad follow the prompts. You can email your request for leave, if you prefer, stating the date you want to start leave and the expected end date. It's important to read what will happen regarding your fees.

8. Returning from a Leave of Absence?

You must re-activate your accreditation with NESA as soon as you return. If you have been away from teaching for five years or more you will need to follow a similar process to new teachers.

9. I no longer wish to teach in NSW?

Email us immediately. We will then stop issuing invoices and 'stop the clock' on your accreditation time period.

10. When you contact us?

Please provide the following details in every email to us:

  • Teacher Number that is on your Accreditation card - this is not your employee number
  • Date of birth
  • Current employer
  • Exactly what you want to know.
Complementary Content