If you are applying for accreditation at the Highly Accomplished or Lead Teacher level, you are invited to use the NSW Education Standards Authority's (NESA, previously BOSTES) online preliminary assessment tool to assess your practice and decide your readiness to proceed to the application phase of the relevant career stage.
Although not compulsory, it’s highly recommended that a candidate for higher level accreditation at Highly Accomplished or Lead Teacher undertakes the online preliminary assessment to verify that your current teaching practice is meeting the Standard Descriptors to the appropriate level.
Make sure you review the Highly Accomplished or Lead Teacher characteristics in the considering applying for higher level accreditation pages.
Prior to starting the online preliminary assessment, it’s advisable that you:
- Read the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers closely, to make sure your practice aligns with the Standards Descriptors at either Highly Accomplished or Lead Teacher level. This will help you decide on whether to proceed to the application phase upon completing the online preliminary assessment
- Download the relevant Evidence Guides to help you gather and prepare your evidence. The Evidence Guides (listed below) indicate how the Standard Descriptors appear in practice and provides examples of evidence that reflect them.
- Evidence Guide for Highly Accomplished Teacher Standards (PDF 725 KB)
- Evidence Guide for Lead Teacher Standards (PDF 767 KB).
NESA reviews your online preliminary assessment and provides feedback that will give you an idea of your likelihood of success. A non-refundable, tax deductible (GST free) $65 fee applies to this process.
How to use the tool
2. Once you are logged in, go to the Teacher TAB.
3. Click the Teacher TAB and then select from Highly Accomplished or Lead Teacher (Preliminary).
4. Pay the fee to proceed.
5. Set aside some time to complete the online preliminary assessment and submit it.
The feedback is based on your responses, so be as accurate you can.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 1300 739 338 (within Australia), if you have any questions.