- Understanding the curriculum
- Syllabuses A–Z
- Curriculum development
- K–10 syllabus development
- Creative Arts K–10 syllabus development
- Languages K–10 development
- Syllabus development process
- School Developed Board Endorsed Courses
- Equivalent and Alternative Courses of Study
- Awarding grades
Assessment is the broad name for the collection and evaluation of evidence of a student's learning. It is integral to teaching and learning and has multiple purposes. Assessment can enhance student engagement and motivation, particularly when it incorporates interaction with teachers, other students and a range of resources.
Teachers should consider the effect that assessment and feedback have on student motivation and self-esteem, and the importance of the active involvement of students in their own learning.
- provides opportunities for teachers to gather evidence about student achievement in relation to syllabus outcomes
- enables students to demonstrate what they know and can do
- clarifies student understanding of concepts and promotes deeper understanding
- provides evidence that current understanding is a suitable basis for future learning.
Assessment activities should:
- be valid and be based on syllabus outcomes
- include criteria to clarify for students what aspects of learning are being assessed
- enable students to demonstrate their learning in a range of different contexts
- be reliable, be free from bias and provide evidence that accurately represents a student's knowledge, understanding and skills
- enable students and teachers to use feedback effectively and reflect on the learning process
- be inclusive of and accessible for all students
- be part of an ongoing process where progress is monitored over time.
Also in assessment:
- Using syllabus outcomes in standards referenced assessment
- Assessment for, as and of learning
- Adjustments for students with special education needs
- Recording evidence
- K–6 Assessment strategies
- 7–10 Assessment strategies
- Effective feedback
- Sample assessment for learning activities