Timeframe for release of support materials for new Stage 6 syllabuses
Stages: Stage 6 (Years 11 and 12)
To help teachers prepare and plan effectively, NESA has compiled a schedule for the release of the remaining support materials for the new Stage 6 English, Mathematics Standard, Science and History syllabuses.
Support materials are published on each subject specific syllabus webpage. Schools are encouraged to visit these webpages regularly for new published items.
A range of sample scope and sequences and assessment schedules are currently available. Throughout the year further support materials will be released.
Sample teaching units and assessment tasks will illustrate a range of approaches that reflect syllabus requirements. Schools may use a sample without modification, change it, or construct their own.
Remaining support materials include:
- A range of sample teaching units for Year 11 and Year 12 from April
- A range of sample formal assessment tasks for Year 11 and Year 12 from May
- Course-specific information such as Science Depth Studies, Mathematics Topic Guidance and Mathematics Investigations for Mathematics Standard, English Text Prescriptions including annotations and History Extension Historians
- Advice on making adjustments for students with special education needs
- English, Mathematics Standard, Science and History HSC Examination Specifications with sample items, marking guidelines, sample answers, and performance band descriptions
- Assessment in a standards-referenced framework advice including assessment in practice
- Consultation on HSC Examination Specifications including an online survey over a four week period will occur early in Term 2.
Progress on Mathematics Advanced and Extension syllabuses:
- The calculus-based Mathematics courses (Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 syllabuses) will be finalised by the middle of the year.
- Support materials will be available shortly after.
- More information about calculus-based Mathematics support materials will be provided at the time of release of the syllabuses.
Progress on other Stage 6 projects:
- Term 1: Consultation on draft components and weightings and mandatory school-based assessment tasks for all other Stage 6 Board Developed Courses (excluding VET, Content Endorsed Courses and Life Skills)
- Term 3: Assessment and reporting materials including an overview of informal and formal assessment, and mandatory school-based assessment requirements for the remaining Stage 6 Board Developed Courses published for implementation for Year 11 from 2018 and Year 12 from 2019.
What has already been released in Term 1 2017:
- The new English, Mathematics Standard, Science, History and related Life Skills syllabuses were released in February 2017 for familiarisation and planning.
- A Course Guide for each new syllabus including an overview of what’s similar and different, and features of the online content pages
- Program Builder is available to develop scope and sequences and teaching units
- New assessment and reporting materials including an overview of informal and formal assessment and mandatory school-based assessment requirements for each course
- Principles of Stage 6 Assessment advice
- A Parent Guide to the new syllabuses and assessment requirements
- An Assessment Guide focusing on the changes to school-based assessment
- A range of sample scope and sequences for Year 11 and Year 12
- A range of sample assessment schedules for Year 11 and Year 12
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the NESA Inspectors for English, Mathematics, Science or History.