Buy the Best of WriteOn
Outstanding entries from last year's competition are published in the Best of WriteOn 2016 anthology
WriteOn is an annual writing competition open to all NSW primary students in Years 1 to 6.
WriteOn provides primary students with the opportunity to become published authors. Outstanding entries from last year's WriteOn competition have been published in the Best of WriteOn 2016 anthology.
Students will compose an imaginative text up to 500 words in length in response to the photograph below as a stimulus.
Reproduced with permission of State Library NSW
How to enter
Schools must submit one typed entry from each Stage using the online entry form.
Entries close on 23 August 2017.
Please read the competition guidelines before entering.
WriteOn is open to all NSW children in Years 1 to 6.
The WriteOn competition can be used as a whole-class teaching activity or as an individual project for some students. To maximise the purpose of the competition, teachers are encouraged to refer to the relevant content for Stage 1 to Stage 3 in the NSW English K–10 Syllabus.
Imaginative pieces may include:
- scripts for radio, screen and stage
- journal entries.
Schools should submit their best entry from each stage.
A panel of experienced NSW primary teachers from each sector will judge the entries.
Please refer to the notes from WriteOn 2016 to provide feedback to students.
The following assessment criteria will be used by the judges when assessing entries:
- engaging the audience in a way that is creative, interpretive, critical and powerful
- maintaining a consistent structure appropriate for the type of text selected
- using a range of stylistic devices appropriate for the stage of the writer and the intended audience
- using a variety of language, vocabulary and punctuation forms throughout the piece
- considering the purpose, audience and context
- evidence of a process of planning, investigating, adapting, editing and revising.
The decision of the judging panel is final.
As in 2016, the competition is being held in association with the State Library of NSW. The presentation of certificates will be held at the State Library of NSW on 20 September 2017.
Subscribe to NESA News for WriteOn 2017 updates.