Navigation Menu
Show Breadcrumbs

Certification of projects, submitted works and performances

If you have chosen to study a course that has a practical project, submitted work or performance as part of the HSC examination your project must be all your own work (apart from any school approved assistance), and you and your school must be able to certify to the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) that this is the case.

The Major project, submitted work and performance are examinations which provide you with the opportunity to demonstrate your skills in relation to the practical outcomes of the course. Be guided by the indicative hours in the syllabus, and do not spend excessive time, money and/or other resources on projects, submitted works or performances. All materials submitted as part of a project, submitted work or performance should have a purpose in relation to the practical component of the examination and to the marking criteria.

Why do I have to certify my project/performance?

Certification ensures that all students are adhering to the same rules so the marking of the project, submitted work or performance can be fair.

You will be required to sign a declaration similar to the following:

I declare that:

  • the planning, development, content and presentation of this project is my own work, except for the limited material, if any, drawn from acknowledged sources
  • I have not copied another person's work
  • I have not submitted this work, in any part, for any HSC examination or assessment task in any other course
  • I have not worked on it after 3:00 pm on the completion/hand-in date
  • I have read and discussed with my parent/guardian/carer the Higher School Certificate Rules and Procedures, including those on plagiarism and malpractice
  • I understand that if this declaration contains false information I might not be eligible to receive my Higher School Certificate results, or may incur a penalty
  • I am aware that all examination responses, including recordings of oral examinations and performances and images of submitted works, remain the property of NESA, and that NESA may use these responses in its educational publications.

Your supervising teacher will ask you to sign the declaration when you hand in your project or submitted work, or when you present for your performance examination.

Your supervising teacher and your principal are also required to sign a declaration. They must certify that your project, submitted work or performance:

  • complies with NESA requirements
  • is your own work
  • has been done under their supervision and is consistent with other examples of your work.

You must obtain your school’s permission before you begin any project that will need work to be completed away from school. Your teacher must agree that they can supervise your project and they must also be sure that it comprises only your own work. Note that most of the project is to be completed at school under the supervision of the class teacher. Please check with your supervising teacher if you think your project may not be able to be marked at your school or the relevant marking centre.

How will my supervising teacher know that my project is all my own work?

Your teacher is required to supervise your work and monitor its progress. You should keep a written record of meetings and discussions with your teacher about your work. In most courses with a project or performance, you will be required to keep a journal, folio, diary or log. You will need to show it to your supervising teacher regularly so that your teacher is aware of your work's progress. If your work is on computer, you should save and backup copies of the work at various stages of development. Date-stamped digital photos are also useful records of progress of your project.

Am I allowed to receive outside assistance with my project?

Your supervising teacher will discuss your project with you and provide feedback on its development. This is not regarded as ‘outside assistance'. If your supervising teacher needs to work on your project - for example, it may require equipment that students are not permitted to use at school - this is regarded as ‘outside assistance' and must be acknowledged as such in your project journal, folio, diary or log.

If you need to ask someone else to work on your project (eg a plastics expert to mould a piece of plastic for your project), you must discuss this work with your supervising teacher before any work is undertaken. Your supervising teacher will advise you if such work is permitted and, if so, how you should acknowledge this assistance in your folio, journal or other documentation.

Some students may wish to have an outside ‘mentor' for specific advice or assistance with aspects of their project. It is very important that you discuss this with your supervising teacher to make sure that the assistance you are planning to get is allowed, and that it is appropriately acknowledged. If you wish to have someone other than your supervising teacher (for example, your parents or a tutor) review your work and comment on it for you, you should discuss this with your supervising teacher beforehand, to clarify how much assistance and advice is appropriate, and whether it should be acknowledged.

Remember: if no assistance is acknowledged by you, then your signature on the declaration form certifies that the work you submit is entirely your own original work. This means that the words, ideas, designs and/or workmanship are all your original work, and that you have received no outside assistance whatsoever.

How can I ensure that my work will be certified?

  • If you are planning to work on your project away from school, obtain your school's permission first, and discuss how it can be supervised by the school to certify that the work is all your own
  • Ensure that your supervising teacher sees your work in progress, and is aware of your intentions for your performance.
  • Make sure you have evidence of the development of your project that shows it is all your own work.
  • If any person other than you has worked on, or contributed to, your project, make sure this is acknowledged in your journal/logbook/folio