- Subject selection
- Key dates and exam timetables
- 2017 HSC written exam timetable
- Exam advice and resources
- Rules and processes
- HSC: All My Own Work
- 1. Scholarship Principles and Practices
- 2. Acknowledging Sources
- 3. Plagiarism
- 4. Copyright
- 5. Working with others
- Disability provisions
- Results and certificates
Exam equipment list
You should write in black pen. Make sure you bring spare pens to each examination. You may also bring a ruler, highlighters, pencils (should be at least 2B) and a sharpener, and a bottle of water in a clear bottle. You can wear your watch to your examinations, but once you sit down you will have to take it off and place it in clear view on your desk. Programmable watches, including smart watches, will not be allowed in the examination room.
The following list shows the examinations for which you are to bring specific equipment, as there may be some examination questions that require the use of this equipment. If an item is listed as optional, it means that there will be no examination questions for which the item is essential. But you may bring and use it if you wish.
All equipment you bring is subject to inspection on entry. Make sure any equipment you are allowed to bring, such as a calculator, is in good working order because an appeal under misadventure provisions for equipment failure will not be upheld.
What you cannot bring into your examination room
- A mobile phone. Mobile phones are not permitted in an examination room under any circumstances.
- A programmable watch, eg a smart watch.
- Any electronic device (except a calculator where permitted). This includes mobile phones or other communication devices, organisers, tablets (eg iPads, etc), music players or electronic dictionaries.
- Paper or any printed or written material (including your examination timetable).
- Dictionaries, except where permitted in language examinations.
- Correction fluid.
You are not allowed to borrow equipment during examinations.
Equipment for specific HSC exams
This list details specific equipment that students are expected to bring for particular examinations. Only those examinations that require specific equipment are listed. View a list of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)-approved calculators.