Navigation Menu
Show Breadcrumbs

Results and certificates

The Higher School Certificate (HSC) is the highest educational award in secondary education in New South Wales. It is awarded to students who have satisfactorily completed Years 11 and 12 at secondary school. To be eligible, students must meet HSC course requirements and sit for the statewide HSC examinations. 

Understanding results

Achieving the HSC is different to getting a driver licence or an ATAR. A student does not receive a simple ‘pass’ or ‘fail’, nor do they get a single rank or mark for all courses. Understand what HSC results are on the NESA website.

Getting your results

HSC results are delivered to students by email and SMS in December. Students can also download and print their full credentials from Students Online in December. Hard copies of the testamur (certificate) are sent in the mail in January the following year. 

HSC Results Services

The HSC Inquiry Centre hotline will also open on the day results are released, followed shortly after by other results services for students including the HSC Results Check, HSC Raw Marks Report or HSC Examination Response. 
Results services for schools include the Results Analysis Package and Anomalous Results Inquiry process.

Results documentation 

See samples of the HSC credentials issued to eligible students upon completing their HSC, and also sample VET credentials.

Merit lists

  • First in Course lists the student or students who achieve the highest HSC result in each course. A First in Course is only awarded if the result is in the highest band possible for that course.
  • All Round Achievers List are the students who have achieved results in the top band possible for at least 10 units of HSC courses.
  • Top Achievers List are the students who have achieved one of the top places and a result in the highest band in one or more HSC courses. The number of top places for each course is determined by the number studying the course.
  • Distinguished Achievers List are all students who received a result in the highest band possible for one or more courses.

Replacement certificates 

If you have lost your HSC, School Certificate or RoSA certificate you can order a replacement copy. The replacement certificates service provides copies of results from 1912. 

Equivalent certificates 

Order a Statement of Equivalence (to NSW school level awards) for secondary education qualifications from overseas countries or from other Australian states and territories.