Navigation Menu
start portlet menu bar

University Developed Board Endorsed Courses

Display portlet menu
end portlet menu bar

University Developed Board Endorsed Courses

University Developed Board Endorsed Courses (UDBECs) provide the opportunity to extend the Higher School Certificate curriculum in areas not covered by Board Developed Courses or other types of Board Endorsed Courses (Content Endorsed Courses and Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses). UDBECs are intended for a university to form a relationship with local schools and develop a customised course to meet the needs of the students in these schools.

The deadline for applications is 19 May 2017 (for courses commencing in 2018). Read the Guidelines here.

About UDBECs

Which HSC students are UDBECs designed for?

UDBECs are designed for high-achieving students for study in Stage 6 (Year 11 and/or Year 12). These courses supplement and extend the HSC curriculum.

UDBEC units can count towards a student’s pattern of study and are credentialled on a student’s HSC. UDBEC results are not eligible for inclusion in the calculation of the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR).

Can the UDBEC proposal cover any content?

No. There are restrictions on the type of courses that universities can apply to deliver, for example:

  • course content must not duplicate or significantly overlap existing Board Developed or Content Endorsed Courses
  • course outcomes and related content must be set at an appropriate standard for high-achieving Stage 6 students.

Who needs to apply for a UDBEC?

  • Universities seeking to have a NEW course endorsed. Endorsement is for a maximum of four (4) years.
  • Universities wishing to continue offering a course whose endorsement expires at the end of 2017. The complete course needs to be resubmitted for appraisal.

I am seeking to renew a current endorsement. Why do I have to resubmit the course?

NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) requires all courses seeking an endorsement to be submitted for appraisal. NESA encourages universities to use this as an opportunity to evaluate the course that has been delivered over the current endorsement period and to amend and enhance the course, if appropriate. It is also an opportunity to review the ‘Criteria for endorsement’ (Section 3 of these Guidelines) to ensure that these continue to be met. A new period of endorsement of a currently endorsed course is not automatic.

How do I know if a current UDBEC endorsement is about to expire?

Universities will be notified if they have a current endorsement that expires at the end of the year. Alternatively, universities can contact the Board Endorsed Programs Unit at

How can an UDBEC application be made?

Applications for both, new courses and renewals are made by completing and submitting the appropriate application form. This can be found in the Course proposal guidelines under the Guidelines for completing a University Developed course application form section.

Who can I contact for help?

For Board Endorsed Programs contact the Senior Project Officer, Special Education on 9367 8036. For KLA-related inquiries, see contact information in the course proposal guidelines.